Here in Florida, fleas are a year-round problem. To avoid a flea infestation and keep your pet healthy and comfortable, you need reliable flea prevention products. While we have seen some flea resistance to products that were once reliable, such as Frontline and Advantage, there are newer options that can quickly send fleas packing. But, in spite of these new, more-reliable flea prevention products, our pet-parents still come to us complaining that their pet’s flea prevention isn’t working. So, what is going on?
Fleas are not just a pet problem
Fleas aren’t just confined to your pet’s body. They can also infest your pet’s bedding, your bedding, your carpet and furniture and also your pet’s yard. You simply won’t be able to get rid of an infestation just by giving your pet a single flea treatment. You have to treat your pet, your whole house and your yard too.
Some people may believe their pet’s flea prevention isn’t doing it’s job if they only treat the pet that they’ve discovered the fleas on. If one pet has fleas, it’s highly likely that they all do. If you only treat one pet, you’ve only treated part of the problem and you can be sure that your infestation will continue to grow.
If you think your indoor pet is safe from fleas, think again. Indoor pets can get fleas in a number of ways. Perhaps you also have a dog that goes outside to use the bathroom. Fleas can easily hitch a ride on him and gain access to your indoor pets. Fleas can even ride on people and get to your indoor pets.
Giving flea prevention a chance to work
Conquering a flea infestation is rough. In fact, it can take weeks to clear up a heavy infestation completely. To help you get on top of a flea infestation, we recommend the following steps:
- Treat pets with a flea prevention product recommended by your vet.
- Have a pest control company spray your house and yard with a pet-safe flea control product.
- After it is safe to return to your home, wash everything in your home that is possible to wash.
- If you can’t wash something, vacuum it thoroughly.
- After vacuuming, bag up the debris, secure it thoroughly and throw it out immediately.
- Afterward, maintain your pet’s monthly flea treatment.
- Consult your pest control company to schedule to have your home and yard treated on a routine basis.
- For the very best results, perform steps 1-5 within a 4-day span.
Ultimately, the staff and doctors here at The Animal Clinic, understand the struggle with fleas. We know it can be a lot of work to get on top of a flea problem, but treating every aspect of the problem and interrupting the whole flea life cycle is necessary to give your flea prevention product a chance to achieve it’s goal.
We carry several different flea prevention products to keep your dogs and cats flea-free. Give us a call to discuss which flea prevention is best for your pet.